What is Application Compatibility?
Application compatibility is the testing of new or upgraded applications for OS compatibility and interoperability with other applications.
Why do we need Application Compatibility?
Out of date and unsupported applications can present significant risk to your organization.
Application Compatibility can be used to determine if and how applications can be repackaged, remediated or virtualized to run in your IT environment. Potential options are:
- Migrate ‘as is’: The application can be migrated without any changes.
- Upgrade: If there is a clear upgrade path to becoming current, this would be the recommended option.
- Repackage: There are system files available, so that the application can be repackaged for migration
- Remediate: An application can be made compatible through additional remediation efforts involving redevelopment
- Virtualize: If an application cannot be made compatible, an option would be to virtualize the application so that it can work in the native environment.
- Replace: If none of the above options are feasible, the application will need to be replaced.
Identifying the applications that are not compatible and receiving information that allows you to perform deep analysis can help you choose the best resolution.
How can AppRx help you?
AppRx allows you to dramatically reduce the efforts required to identify application compatibility information by using the funnel approach. At each step, the number of applications requiring attention is reduced.
AppRx provides you with platform compatibility details including application ‘age’ and support status so that you can determine upgradability.
You are able to do a deep dive and perform detailed testing on unsupported applications / custom applications to identify best option: Migrate, remediate, or virtualize.
AppRx also allows you to test for interoperability with multiple applications on the same machine, and 64-bit compatibility.